Nepal is a safe country to trek provided the basic rules are observed. When with agency most contigencies are handled by agency staff. However, One could get lost or hurt and have no one to ask for help when trekking alone. Therefore, trekkers should either trek with agencies, or hire reliable guides if trekking in smaller groups. Women guides are available for women trekkers. The best way to avoid risk while trekking is thorough palanning, playing by the rules and realizing human limitations. in case of misfortune, a short detailed message should be dispatched to a reliable organization or individual immediately for rescue operation. If communication facilities are unavailable, normal first aid principles should be followed till help arrives.
1. Do not trek alone.
2. Do not make a display of wealth.
3. Keep belongings secure and within sight.
4. Make arrangements for handling emergency situations before hand.
5. Register personal information and trekking plan details with respective embassies.
6. Buy travel insurance policy that covers helicopter rescue cost. Leeave a copy of details with an agency in Kathmandu.
7. Choose only authorized government registered trekking agencies, guides and porters.